LP Perspectives: RIAs and the Role of Private Real Estate,
In the wake of the financial crisis, GPs are looking beyond traditional funding sources to registered investment advisors who manage the assets of high-net-worth and ultra-high-net-worth clients.
RIAs are looking to grow their current 3 percent allocation of their $4tn in AUM to real estate. How are they thinking about the real estate and alternatives opportunity? What structural challenges stand in their way and what threats could be looming in the horizon?
In its fourth LP Perspectives report, Shelter Rock interviewed RIAs, RIA-advisory firms and wirehouses in the U.S. and Latin America about their views and risk appetite for private real estate and alternative investments.
- Investing in CRE is about performance and total returns
- RIAs differ in how they access opportunities, whether through feeder funds or directs
- They want to partnering for the long term
- RIAs are cautious about CRE, but optimistic about the downturn
- Liquidity remains a key concern with alternatives